What’s one of the most important aspects of text message marketing? Having a solid text subscriber list.
But how exactly do you start to build one? We’ll walk you through the step-by-step process.
What is a Text Subscriber List and Why Does It Matter?
In simple terms, a text subscriber list is a group of people who willingly provide their phone numbers (text message opt-in), giving you permission to send them text messages related to your products, services, promotions, or other business updates. Basically, it’s like having a direct line of communication with your most interested customers.
Now, you might be wondering, “Why should I bother with text marketing when I already have email lists and social media followers?”
The answer: text marketing has unique advantages that help set your business on the path to success, such as:
- Instant Reach: Text messages reach your customers anytime, anywhere. Most people keep their mobile phones with them at all times. You easily communicate with them and keep them informed about the products and services they care about.
- High Open Rates: Unlike email, text messages have a sky-high open rate of 98%, with most messages being read within 3 minutes of being received. Texts are more likely to be opened and responded to than any other marketing message.
- Personalized Interaction: When texts are tailored and targeted to recipients, they feel more intimate and personal, making your subscribers feel valued and heard. This helps build long-term relationships and brand loyalty.
- Increased Engagement: People reply to texts 8x more than they do to emails. Texts are engaging and help boost customer interaction and drive sales.
Step-by-Step Guide to Building Your Text Subscriber List
Now, let’s explore exactly how to build a text subscriber list from scratch.
Step 1: Choose a Text Marketing Service Provider
To get started, you need to choose an SMS marketing platform or provider. Look for a platform that complies with all applicable laws and regulations (like the Telephone Consumer Protection Act) and provides the tools you need to manage your campaigns.
Then, think about your specific business needs. What features does the SMS platform offer that will meet your business needs?
Some general features to look for include text message automation, personalization options, analytics (engagement metrics, click-through rates, opt-in and opt-out rates), and campaign scheduling. You also need a platform that can handle your business’s SMS send volume.
But really you need a platform that offers features that solve your specific problems. Look through some common problems that businesses have and the text marketing features that solve them here.
Step 2: Promote Your Text Subscriber List
Use your existing marketing channels, like social media, email lists, and website pop-ups, to promote your text subscriber list. Create compelling and clear call-to-actions that encourage people to sign up.
To entice people to opt in, offer something of value in return. It could be a free e-book, a discount, access to exclusive content, or regular informative updates. Giving value upfront establishes trust and encourages people to join your list.
Step 3: Make Opting-In Easy
Simplicity is key. Keep the opt-in process straightforward. A simple text with a keyword and shortcode works. For example, “Text ‘DEALS’ to 12345 to join our exclusive list!”
Be honest with your subscribers about how often they should expect to receive your texts. This transparency creates trust, sets expectations, and helps your subscribers to feel like they won’t be bombarded by messages.
Step 4: Segment and Personalize
Segment your text subscriber list based on demographics, interests, leads, customers, or other relevant categories to send targeted messages. Personalize messages for each group to increase the chances of conversions.
In your messages, address recipients by their first name and tailor content based on their interests and preferences whenever possible. Personal touches like these help keep customers engaged, building brand loyalty and long-term relationships.
Step 5: Provide Value and Engaging Content
By now, you’ve successfully built your text subscriber list! Now it’s time to work on what really matters – keeping your subscribers engaged and awaiting your next text message.
The key to a successful text marketing campaign is to consistently provide value. Here’s how to do it:
- Understand your audiences’ wants, needs, and preferences. Analyze their behavior, feedback, and interactions. Use this data to further segment your list.
- Test the frequency you send your texts at and analyze the response to identify the ideal balance.
- Text like a human. Your subscribers want to feel like they’re communicating with real people, not bots. Add your personality to your messages and show emotion.
- Encourage interaction by making your texts two-way. Ask questions, use polls, ask for feedback, etc., to get recipients to respond and engage in a conversation. Be sure to respond to replies quickly.
- Everyone loves a good discount or limited-time offer. Provide special perks or exclusive content to people for being part of your text subscription list.
- Carefully consider the timing of your messages. Respect your subscribers and don’t send texts at times that would be inconvenient such as late at night. Test different sending times and keep track of the response patterns. This helps you figure out when your audience is most responsive.
The Secret to Success
Building a text subscriber list for your business is the secret to success. It lets you communicate directly with your most interested customers, building loyalty and driving sales.
By following the steps outlined in this guide, you’ll be well on your way to creating a text subscriber list that’ll increase your sales.
Use Skipio to start building your list and send texts. Our platform helps you communicate with and build long-term relationships with your leads and customers. Take a 5-minute tour to see how Skipio works for you.